Thursday, May 14, 2020

So now there's this

So,
now
there's this

I have struggled, and I am struggling, but I am also finding joy, I am laughing more than crying, I am squeezing my babies, I am snuggling (struggling?) with my husband.

There's this,
it's unprecedented, and its nothing new,
we have never done this,
but humans have.
I want to write a canto, about how being at home is a burden
I want to write an ode, about how being at home is a joy

Today is today, is today, is today,
where do we go from here
when the front porch is our finish line?

Let's go make some bread.

Cheddar Ham Biscuits

2 C AP Flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1 tsp season salt
1/2 tsp bay seasoning
1 stick cold butter  cut into 1/4" chunks + 1/2 stick room temp butter
1/2 c buttermilk
1 egg
1 c shredded cheddar
4 slices of ham stacked and cut into 1/4 in squares

preheat oven to 425

whisk flour, powder, salt and seasoning in the bowl of a stand mixer, then using paddle attachment beat butters into flour mixture, add ham and cheddar mix until everything is coated, whisk egg into your buttermilk, add to mixer, mix on low pulsing until ingredients are combined.

dump out onto a floured surface fold onto itself 4-6 times, pat into an even thickness and cut into 8-12 biscuits (up to you how big you want them) bake 12-18 minutes until risen and golden

serve hot or warm. can be frozen and reheated in 400 degree oven.

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Been trying not to overbake here at home...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I've been limiting myself to one baked good a week but it usually is two or three :D

      Delete